Wellness & Care
UNIVERSAL WELLNESS & CARE
Health care is a dynamic and humanist business. In the 21st Century and beyond, health care services are not only to treat diseases and discomforts for people. In order to remain relevant, effective and viable, health care must answer to the contextual needs of citizens for preventative services, health education and life-enhancing interventions.
Accordingly, the HDL Universal Wellness and Care portfolio offers the following range of unique services:
- Women’s Wellness & Gynaecologic Health
- Men’s Health Services
- Prevention & Screening for non-communicable diseases including cancers
- Targeted Hormone Evaluation
- Pregnancy Monitoring
YOUTH SEXUALITY & CHARACTER EDUCATION
Generally, young persons are open books, waiting to be scribbled upon by parents, preachers, peers, teachers and the press. They are eager for education on personality development; and are hungry for the means to reinforce their inner strength. They desire the supportive assurances from the community that it is within their capacity not to engage so soon in sexual activities that potentially place them, their family, the nation and their world in proximate danger of a cascade of avoidable distresses related to sexually transmitted diseases, HIV/AIDS, unplanned pregnancy, abortion or disabilities and death resulting from high risk child birth.
These are the many benefits of the abstinence message that also form the hallmark of the abstinence/fidelity strategy: to avert serial dislocations by reinforcing the totality of a child’s sexuality and personality.
Abstinence modulates the expression of the sex faculty, placing it in the proper perspective of purpose, place and time. But there is a broader attribute of abstinence. Training in abstinence builds persons to function in ways that are consistent with the three interrelated dimensions of sound character: knowing the good, desiring the good and doing the good – habits of the mind, habits of the heart and habits of action, not only with respect to sex, but in all other aspects of life including drugs use, corruption and delinquency. In fact, abstinence is a lifestyle choice – the quality of a person’s ability to bring under reasonable check what natural instincts and impulses would otherwise impose.
Abstinence builds healthy relationships and prepares youth for a fulfilling family life, as the education inculcates responsible character traits. It demands respect for the dignity of all persons irrespective of their health status, economic standing or ethnic affiliations. By challenging youths to their intrinsic ability to overcome sexual impulses with intelligence, virtue and responsible behaviour, abstinence education empower young people to take responsibility of the consequences of their decisions, both now and in the future.
FIRST AID & EMERGENCY CARE
Accidents and emergency health conditions occur in transports, homes, schools, offices, factories and worship centres. Many of them result to deaths due to lack of knowledge or improper actions by persons present when the events happen. Appropriate and timely first aid care saves lives and facilitates early recovery of the victims.
HDL conducts the following range of services:
- Supply of quality, standard first aid kits
- Training of staff, groups and individuals on basic life-saving skills
- Refurbishing and replenishment of existing first aid boxes
- Implementation and evaluation research of emergency health services
SCHOOL HEALTH SERVICES
School health programme is a low-cost means of safeguarding and maintaining the health of the future generation. This is achieved through pre-admission health status determination; monitoring and periodic assessment and reporting of the physical, mental and psychological health profile of learners and their teachers as well as allied workers of the educational institutions.
Deworming and vitamin supplementation for young adults and children can result in dramatic growth spurts in the latter. Survey findings show significant improvements in child educability, worker productivity and overall health status from periodic deworming interventions. Consequently, periodic
assessment and reporting of the physical, mental and psychological health profile of learners and their teachers as well as allied workers of the educational institutions.
Deworming and vitamin supplementation for young adults and children can result in dramatic growth spurts in the latter. Survey findings show significant improvements in child educability, worker productivity and overall health status from periodic deworming interventions. Consequently, periodic deworming is a proven effective measure for the control of morbidity due to intestinal parasites. HDL integrates these activities with improving sanitation and health education for target populations. We are able to:
- Conduct educational services for the children and teachers on basic health hygiene, sanitation and worm eradication themes
- Institute growth monitoring, nutrition assessment and
- Provide consumables and sundry services.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Healthy foods and nutrition are existential needs as well as predictors of good health and quality life.
Accordingly, Health Dimensions Ltd engages in:
- Nutrition education for communities at the margins of society (villages and urban slum settlements)
- Marketing nutrient-rich meal formulations
- Emergency food services in disasters and crises
- Rural agricultural support services for small holder farmers (agric extension services)
ENVIRONMENTAL CARE & MEDICAL WASTE MANAGEMENT
The environment needs our collective care and safeguarding. Medical waste is the second most hazardous waste after nuclear waste. Unsanitary handling and disposal of medical waste endangers the health workers, patients, children at play, community members as well as contaminates the environment (soil, water and air).
HDL designs and implements projects on health care safety and medical waste management. Our organization possesses the capability to:
- Conduct surveys on health care and patient safety, and medical waste management practices
- Train all cadres of health care workers (private and public) on medical waste management.
- Support the establishment of Medical Waste Management Unit, including a treatment plant.
- Collect, transport, treat and dispose medical waste in a scientific and environmentally-friendly manner using appropriate eco-responsive technology.
- Manages municipal wastes
- Pest control and fumigation
COMMUNITY-BASED HEALTH INSURANCE
The goal of reaching everyone in need with quality and affordable health services (universal health coverage) requires concerted and sustained efforts with innovations and approaches that fit into the specific contexts of developing countries, especially at the grassroots.
Accordingly, Health Dimensions facilitates the designing and implementation of community-based health insurance schemes in line with national guidelines. We are able to organize rural and urban slum dwellers as active participants in pooled health risk management plans using local providers nearest to them.
The strategic elements in this health business include:
- Fractional analysis and stakeholder engagement
- Formation of community partnership committees
- Credentializing and capacitation of providers
- Supportive supervision for CBHIS implementation
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Operations research
INTEGRATED MEDIA SOLUTIONS
Health Dimensions engages in mass media-based health education, driving behavioural change communication through multi-channel delivery platforms. HDL produces educational and informative programmes on TV, radio, print and the Internet.
- Global Family Health Bulletin
- Cyberzine (Dr. Chuks Blog, e-health magazine)
- Social media health education, policy advocacy and capacity building
We are glad to receive your enquiries and orders for our products and services, or feedback about our web site or Health Dimensions. Would you like to discuss business partnership or funding of our published proposals, to discuss research or collaborative project with HDL? Please contact us today!
House 17, Ficus Benjamina Close, Opp. Rivers Court,
Gaduwa Estate, Abuja - FCT, Nigeria.